At Lazarus House, we rely on volunteers 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. We simply couldn’t survive without your help.
Each year, approximately 1,900 volunteers have provided up to 19,000 hours of service to help us keep our doors open and serve our community.
Whether you’re an individual who simply wants to give back, or a community group looking for an impactful service project, we need you. Won’t you join us in our mission to give people in need a helping hand up?
How You Can Help
- Overnight volunteer at our emergency shelter
- Be a daytime household volunteer
- Provide handyman repairs
- Offer child care while parents attend on-site classes
- Help plan and coordinate our special events
- Provide office support, including mailings
- Have an idea not on this list? Talk to us and let’s make it happen!
Special Volunteer Needs
- Dinner Preparations: We need groups or families able to prepare meals off-site, bring them in hot and ready to serve at dinner time. We also need meals for freezing to supplement our times of extra need.
- Tutoring: We need individuals to help tutor children with homework and tutor
adults preparing for the GED.
- Professional Services: We need business professionals able to provide such
services as haircuts, medical and dental care, personal accounting, counseling and job training, and to teach life skill classes to adults (such as job search skills or budgeting).
- Fun Events: We need help planning and orchestrating meaningful moments for
our Guests, such as birthday celebrations or family game nights.
SERVICE GROUP OPPORTUNITIES
We welcome service groups that want to help us with special projects. Listed below are dates and tasks/activities that are currently available. Contact Anne Stephans at email@example.com or call 630-587-2144 to sign up.
- Thursday, August 30 Ladies Night 5:30-7pm
- Thursday, September 27 Ladies Night 5:30-7pm
- Thursday, October 25 Ladies Night 5:30-7pm
Coordinate a fun and relaxing craft activity. Please bring all the supplies needed and consider providing some healthy appetizers. A few craft ideas are beading, painting/watercolors, canvas embroidery or decoupage. We welcome your creativity, so let us know if you have another activity in mind.
- Saturday, September 8 Back To School Ice Cream Social 7-8:30pm
Cool off on a hot summer day and enjoy some ice cream & fellowship with our guests. Please provide all the ice cream and toppings for this delicious sweet treat. Add some extra fun to the afternoon and bring Uno, Yahtzee, Boggle or other games that everyone can play.
- Thursday, September 13 or 20 Cleaning Crew 9:30-11:30am
- Thursday, October 18 Cleaning Crew 9-11:30am or 1:30-4pm
Come ready to mop, wash, scrub and sanitize so the house feels squeaky clean. All cleaning supplies will be provided, but please bring extra mops, buckets, rags, and paper towels.
- Saturday, October 20 Nacho Bar & Games 7-8:30pm
Provide all the meat, chips and fixings and then set up a tasty nacho bar in the kitchen area. Be a part of the fiesta and dine with our guests as you all enjoy this tasty Mexican cuisine. Then please assist our staff with the clean up. Another fun idea is to bring Uno, Yahtzee, Boggle or other games that all can enjoy.
- Ongoing Sack Lunches
Make 15 sack lunches off site and deliver them to us on a scheduled date. Pack a sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie/granola bar and juice box or sports drink. Please keep all the sandwiches and fruit together so our staff can put them right into the fridge.
- Corporate Volunteer Service Days
We invite your business to plan a service day with us. These projects are available on Thursdays, so please e-mail the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss details.
How to Get Started
Attend a New Volunteer Orientation! These are held on Saturdays, approximately every four to six weeks.
At the orientation, we will tour the shelter, discuss volunteer opportunities and share information to help you be successful and feel comfortable in a role at the shelter. After completing orientation, you can begin volunteering in a position that matches your interests, skills and schedule.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates
- July 28 9:30-10:30am
- August 23 5:30-6:30pm
- September 8 9:30-10:30am
- September 20 5:30-6:30pm
- October 20 9:30-10:30am
If you are unable to attend any of the above dates, please contact Anne, our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative options.
Lazarus House Community
308 Walnut Street
St. Charles, IL 60174
Email Anne, our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or call 630.587.2144.
You must register to attend, and each session is limited to 25 people due to space limitations. If you have registered and are unable to attend, please let us know so we can open your space for another interested party!