At Lazarus House, we rely on volunteers 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. We simply couldn’t survive without your help.
Each year, approximately 1,900 volunteers have provided up to 19,000 hours of service to help us keep our doors open and serve our community.
Whether you’re an individual who simply wants to give back, or a community group looking for an impactful service project, we need you.
Won’t you join us in our mission to give people in need a helping hand up?
How You Can Help
- Overnight volunteer at our emergency shelter
- Be a daytime household volunteer
- Provide handyman repairs
- Offer child care while parents attend on-site classes
- Help plan and coordinate our special events
- Provide office support, including mailings
- Have an idea not on this list? Talk to us and let’s make it happen!
Special Volunteer Needs
- Dinner Preparations: We need groups or families able to prepare meals off-site, bring them in hot and ready to serve at dinner time. We also need meals for freezing to supplement our times of extra need.
- Tutoring: We need individuals to help tutor children with homework and tutor
adults preparing for the GED.
- Professional Services: We need business professionals able to provide such
services as haircuts, medical and dental care, personal accounting, counseling and job training, and to teach life skill classes to adults (such as job search skills or budgeting).
- Fun Events: We need help planning and orchestrating meaningful moments for
our Guests, such as birthday celebrations or family game nights.
Family & Service Group Opportunities
We welcome volunteers that want to help us with special projects. Listed below are dates and tasks/activities that are currently available.
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630-587-2144 to sign up.
- Ladies Craft Night
Coordinate a fun and relaxing craft activity. Please bring all the supplies needed and consider providing some healthy appetizers. A few craft ideas are beading, painting/watercolors, canvas embroidery or decoupage. We welcome your creativity, so let us know if you have another activity in mind.
- Nacho Bar & Games
Provide all the meat, chips and fixings and then set up a tasty nacho bar in the kitchen area. Be a part of the fiesta and dine with our guests as you all enjoy this tasty Mexican cuisine. Then please assist our staff with the clean-up.
- Cleaning Crew
Thursdays & Saturdays (actual dates are flexible) 9-11:30a
Come ready to mop, wash, scrub and sanitize so the house feels squeaky clean. All cleaning supplies will be provided, but please bring extra mops, buckets, rags and paper towels.
- Ongoing Sack Lunches
Make 20 sack lunches off site and deliver them to us on a scheduled date. Pack a sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie/granola bar and juice box or sports drink. Please keep all the sandwiches and fruit together so our staff can put them right into the fridge.
- Corporate Volunteer Service Days
We invite your business to plan a service day with us. E-mail the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss details.
How to Get Started
Attend a New Volunteer Orientation! These are held one time per month, on a Saturday morning or Thursday evening.
At the orientation, we will tour the shelter, discuss volunteer opportunities and share information to help you be successful and feel comfortable in a role at the shelter. After completing orientation, you can begin volunteering in a position that matches your interests, skills and schedule.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates
- DUE TO COVID, IN-HOUSE VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. HOWEVER, WE ARE DESPERATELY IN NEED OF OVERNIGHTERS. PLEASE CONTACT TASHA, OUR VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR, email@example.com IF YOU CAN HELP!
214 Walnut Street
St. Charles, IL 60174 (Please ring Door #2)
Email our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630.587.2144.
You must register to attend, and each session is limited to 20 people due to space limitations. If you have registered and are unable to attend, please let us know so we can open your space for another interested party!