At Lazarus House, we rely on volunteers 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. We simply couldn’t survive without your help.
Each year, approximately 1,900 volunteers have provided up to 19,000 hours of service to help us keep our doors open and serve our community.
Whether you’re an individual who simply wants to give back, or a community group looking for an impactful service project, we need you. Won’t you join us in our mission to give people in need a helping hand up?
How You Can Help
- Overnight volunteer at our emergency shelter
- Be a daytime household volunteer
- Provide handyman repairs
- Offer child care while parents attend on-site classes
- Help plan and coordinate our special events
- Provide office support, including mailings
- Have an idea not on this list? Talk to us and let’s make it happen!
Special Volunteer Needs
- Dinner Preparations: We need groups or families able to prepare meals off-site, bring them in hot and ready to serve at dinner time. We also need meals for freezing to supplement our times of extra need.
- Tutoring: We need individuals to help tutor children with homework and tutor
adults preparing for the GED.
- Professional Services: We need business professionals able to provide such
services as haircuts, medical and dental care, personal accounting, counseling and job training, and to teach life skill classes to adults (such as job search skills or budgeting).
- Fun Events: We need help planning and orchestrating meaningful moments for
our Guests, such as birthday celebrations or family game nights.
SERVICE GROUP OPPORTUNITIES
We welcome service groups that want to help us with special projects. Listed below are dates and tasks/activities that are currently available. Contact Anne Stephans at email@example.com or call 630-587-2144 to sign up
- Thursday, October 25 Ladies Night 5:30-7p
Thursday, November 8 Ladies Night 5:30-7p
Coordinate a fun and relaxing craft activity. Please bring all the supplies needed and consider providing some healthy appetizers. A few craft ideas are beading, painting/watercolors, canvas embroidery or decoupage. We welcome your creativity, so let us know if you have another activity in mind.
- Thursday, October 25 Newsletter Stuffing Project 9a-1pm
Assist with stuffing and labeling 4,300 holiday newsletters. Need a service group of 15-20 volunteers and they must be 18 years or older. The morning shift is the priority to fill and when the majority of the work will be done. A few more volunteers will be needed for a couple of hours in the afternoon.
- Saturday, November 17 Nacho Bar & Games 7-8:30p
Provide all the meat, chips and fixings and then set up a tasty nacho bar in the kitchen area. Be a part of the fiesta and dine with our guests as you all enjoy this tasty Mexican cuisine. Then please assist our staff with the clean up. Another fun idea is to bring Uno, Yahtzee, Boggle or other games that all can enjoy.
- Saturday, December 15 Holiday Ice Cream Social 1-2:30p or 7-8:30p
Bring all the ice cream and tasty toppings for sundaes. Enjoy some time with our guests, bring a few games to play and help share the holiday spirit in the house.
- Ongoing Sack Lunches
Make 20 sack lunches off site and deliver them to us on a scheduled date. Pack a sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie/granola bar and juice box or sports drink. Please keep all the sandwiches and fruit together so our staff can put them right into the fridge.
- Corporate Volunteer Service Days
We invite your business to plan a service day with us. E-mail the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss details.
How to Get Started
Attend a New Volunteer Orientation! These are held on Saturdays, approximately every four to six weeks.
At the orientation, we will tour the shelter, discuss volunteer opportunities and share information to help you be successful and feel comfortable in a role at the shelter. After completing orientation, you can begin volunteering in a position that matches your interests, skills and schedule.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates
- October 20 9:30-10:30a
- November 1 5:30-6:30p (last session for this year)
- February 2 9:30-10:30a
- February 21 5:30-6:30p
If you are unable to attend any of the above dates, please contact Anne, our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative options.
Lazarus House Community
308 Walnut Street
St. Charles, IL 60174
Email Anne, our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or call 630.587.2144.
You must register to attend, and each session is limited to 25 people due to space limitations. If you have registered and are unable to attend, please let us know so we can open your space for another interested party!