At Lazarus House, we rely on volunteers 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. We simply couldn’t survive without your help.
Each year, approximately 1,900 volunteers have provided up to 19,000 hours of service to help us keep our doors open and serve our community.
Whether you’re an individual who simply wants to give back, or a community group looking for an impactful service project, we need you. Won’t you join us in our mission to give people in need a helping hand up?
How You Can Help
- Overnight volunteer at our emergency shelter
- Be a daytime household volunteer
- Provide handyman repairs
- Offer child care while parents attend on-site classes
- Help plan and coordinate our special events
- Provide office support, including mailings
- Have an idea not on this list? Talk to us and let’s make it happen!
Special Volunteer Needs
- Dinner Preparations: We need groups or families able to prepare meals off-site, bring them in hot and ready to serve at dinner time. We also need meals for freezing to supplement our times of extra need.
- Tutoring: We need individuals to help tutor children with homework and tutor
adults preparing for the GED.
- Professional Services: We need business professionals able to provide such
services as haircuts, medical and dental care, personal accounting, counseling and job training, and to teach life skill classes to adults (such as job search skills or budgeting).
- Fun Events: We need help planning and orchestrating meaningful moments for
our Guests, such as birthday celebrations or family game nights.
How to Get Started
Attend a New Volunteer Orientation! These are held on Saturdays, approximately every four to six weeks.
At the orientation, we will tour the shelter, discuss volunteer opportunities and share information to help you be successful and feel comfortable in a role at the shelter. After completing orientation, you can begin volunteering in a position that matches your interests, skills and schedule.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates
- January 13
- March 3
- April 21
- June 2
If you are unable to attend any of the above dates, please contact Anne, our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com for alternative options.
- Morning session: 9:30 am – 11:00 am
Lazarus House Community
308 Walnut Street
St. Charles, IL 60174
Email Anne, our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630.587.2144.
You must register to attend, and each session is limited to 25 people due to space limitations. If you have registered and are unable to attend, please let us know so we can open your space for another interested party!