How You Can Help
- Overnight volunteer at our emergency shelter
- Be a daytime household volunteer
- Provide handyman repairs
- Offer child care while parents attend on-site classes
- Help plan and coordinate our special events
- Provide office support, including mailings
- Have an idea not on this list? Talk to us and let’s make it happen!
Special Volunteer Needs
- Dinner Preparations: We need groups or families able to prepare meals off-site, bring them in hot and ready to serve at dinner time. We also need meals for freezing to supplement our times of extra need.
- Tutoring: We need individuals to help tutor children with homework and tutoradults preparing for the GED.
- Professional Services: We need business professionals able to provide suchservices as haircuts, medical and dental care, personal accounting, counseling and job training, and to teach life skill classes to adults (such as job search skills or budgeting).
- Fun Events: We need help planning and orchestrating meaningful moments forour Guests, such as birthday celebrations or family game nights.
FAMILY & SERVICE GROUP OPPORTUNITIES
- We welcome volunteers that want to help us with special projects. Listed below are dates and tasks/activities that are currently available. Contact Anne Stephans at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630-587-2144 to sign up
- Thursday January 10 or 17 Friday January 18 or 25 Ladies Craft Night 5:30-7pThursday February 7 or 21 Friday February 8 or 15 Ladies Craft Night 5:30-7pCoordinate a fun and relaxing craft activity. Please bring all the supplies needed and consider providing some healthy appetizers. A few craft ideas are beading, painting/watercolors, canvas embroidery or decoupage. We welcome your creativity, so let us know if you have another activity in mind.
- Saturday, January 12 or 19 Nacho Bar & Games 5-6:30pSaturday February 9 or 23 Nacho Bar & Games 5-6:30pProvide all the meat, chips and fixings and then set up a tasty nacho bar in the kitchen area. Be a part of the fiesta and dine with our guests as you all enjoy this tasty Mexican cuisine. Then please assist our staff with the clean up. Another fun idea is to bring Uno, Yahtzee, Boggle or other games that all can enjoy.
- Thursday January 17 or Saturday January 19 Cleaning Crew 9-11:30aThursday February 7 or Saturday February 9 Cleaning Crew 9-11:30aCome ready to mop, wash, scrub and sanitize so the house feels squeaky clean. All cleaning supplies will be provided, but please bring extra mops, buckets, rags and paper towels.
- Ongoing Sack LunchesMake 20 sack lunches off site and deliver them to us on a scheduled date. Pack a sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie/granola bar and juice box or sports drink. Please keep all the sandwiches and fruit together so our staff can put them right into the fridge.
- Corporate Volunteer Service DaysWe invite your business to plan a service day with us. E-mail the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss details.
How to Get Started
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates
- February 2 9:30-10:30a
- February 21 5:30-6:30p
- March 2 9:30-10:30a
- March 21 5:30-6:30p
- April 6 9:30-10:30a
- April 25 5:30-6:30p
- May 4 9:30-10:30a
- May 16 5:30-6:30p